What you are about to read is true, and that is why it is so disturbing.
First a little background. Search Engine Optimization or (SEO) is a skill that takes time and energy to master. Professional SEO’s invest a great amount of time into learning the craft, and after achieving a bit of ranking success will have a valuable service worth selling to clients.
Unfortunately, just as in web design, everyone including their slow in the head brother thinks they can do SEO and jump on the selling SEO train in hopes of making a quick buck. Below is an email I received this morning.
Gerald Gerbrone Here,
We recently started our blog here http://blog.yourseoconsulting.com and linked to your website hoping you would notice us and maybe link back. To be honest we don’t know what the fuck we are doing and are desperate god help us we arn’t even ranking for anything in msn , yahoo or google and need your help. And link would be of great help thanks again, Gerald.
Gerald Gerbrone CEO
A-Built Computer Systems and Consulting
14781 Memorial Drive
If it is not apparent why this is so disturbing, lets look closer.
- This is a wannabe SEO company, charging money for their services. Clearly they do not have the slightest clue as to what is going on.
- This is the kind of thing that gives the whole seo industry a bad rap. (Snake Oil)
- Visit the website: http://blog.yourseoconsulting.com Here is a short list of no’no’s that are probably keeping him from getting the rankings he so desires
- Site is in Frames
- Title Tag?
- What do Digital Camera’s and Dr Suess have to do with SEO (Relevancy)
- Looks like the posts may be scraped (duplicate content)
So the moral of the story is; buyer beware. Not all SEO is created equal. Ask to see verifiable ranking results, ask to speak to a few of their past clients, and most importantly just trust you gut. You could probably smell this guy coming.
I was going to link to him in this post.. but thought better of it.